EXPLORE THIS STORY
UNITED STATES INDICTS FORMER CUBAN PRESIDENT RAÚL CASTRO AS PRESSURE BUILDS
AI-generated content — Analyses are produced by artificial intelligence from press articles. They may contain errors or biases. Learn more
Seoul views the indictment of Raúl Castro as a strong signal of Washington's maximum pressure strategy against communist regimes, in a regional context where North Korea remains a central issue.
Dominant angle identified — does not reflect unanimity of this country’s media
Seoul, May 21, 2026. The announcement by the US Department of Justice of the indictment of Raúl Castro, 94, for the 1996 crash of two Cuban exile planes has caught the attention of South Korean media. The Korea Times has covered in detail the ceremony held in Miami, where Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said: 'For nearly 30 years, the families of four Americans killed have waited for justice.' The charges against Castro include murder, conspiracy to eliminate US citizens, and aircraft destruction.
The arrest of Maduro in January by US special forces had already shown that Washington was willing to cross lines deemed insurmountable. Castro's indictment fits into this same dynamic: Blanche said a warrant had been issued and that US authorities 'expect him to present himself here, either voluntarily or otherwise.' The statement had the effect of an explicit warning.
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel responded by calling the indictment 'a political action with no legal basis' aimed at 'consolidating the fabricated file to justify a military aggression.' He argued that Cuba had acted in legitimate defense in its territorial waters after repeated violations of its airspace. However, this defense fails to convince the Trump administration, whose Secretary of State Marco Rubio, son of Cuban immigrants, has published a video in Spanish calling on the Cuban people to 'demand a free market economy with a new direction.'
The pressure is not limited to the judicial aspect. Since Maduro's capture, Washington has imposed a fuel blockade on Cuba, causing massive power outages, food shortages, and an exacerbated economic collapse. The US has also offered $100 million in aid if Havana agrees to open its economy to American investments and expel Washington's designated adversaries.
For the families of the 1996 crash victims, the decision is 'long overdue.' Marlene Alejandre-Triana, whose father Armando Alejandre Jr. was among the four people killed, has identified Castro as 'one of the main architects of the crime.' The planes belonged to the exile group Brothers to the Rescue, which was conducting humanitarian missions over the Florida Strait.
South Korean coverage, sober and factual, does not take an explicit stance.
Washington-centric framing: South Korean coverage relies almost exclusively on US sources and statements, without independent Cuban voices
Preference for a juridico-security register: the humanitarian angle (Cuba's power outages, food shortages) is mentioned but remains secondary to judicial developments
Limited coverage of historical context: the precise circumstances of the 1996 crash and the controversy over airspace sovereignty are underdeveloped in favor of the present
Discover how another country covers this same story.